THE SIXTH SENSE: VOICE OR AFFATUS
From Blessed Raymond Lull's Book of Proverbs (Mog.)
1. The Affatus is the unknown sixth sense.
2.The Affatus is the faculty for manifesting
one's mental concepts.
3. The object of the Affatus is the manifestation
of thought and its instrument is the tongue.
4. The tongue is an instrument common to the
acts of the Affatus and of the sense of taste, in the same way as sound
is an instrument for hearing and speaking.
5. Through the Affatus, you participate more
with the rational soul, than through any other sense.
6. The Affatus stands between the mental concept,
and the sense of hearing.
7. Through the Affatus, one person can communicate
with another more than through any other sense.
8. None of the other senses signifies as many
things as the Affatus does.
9. The sense of hearing hears sound, but the
Affatus produces it.
10. The Affatus produces the name of GOD in
sound, and the sense of hearing perceives it.
11. Through the Affatus, you can be more loved
or hated than through any other sense.
12. The Affatus communicates science to the
sense of hearing.
13. The Affatus is a figure of the intellect,
and the sense of hearing is a figure of memory.
14. The sense of smell is not as necessary
a sense as the Affatus.
15. In this world, you cannot participate
with GOD without an act of the Affatus.
16. The Affatus is such a noble faculty, and
so very useful, that the Lord of all nature would be doing it wrong, if
it were not a sense.
17. With none of the other senses does the
Son of GOD have a concordance as great as with the Affatus.
18. The acts of the Affatus, and of speech
are equivalent or convertible.
19. The words "Affatus" and "verbal speech"
20. The mechanical arts are made more manifest
through the Affatus, than through any other sense.
From Blessed Raymond's Book of Proverbs (Liber
in Ivo Salzinger's Mainz edition.
Back to Contents